My love for “Maya Chia” is not new and I have already raved about their “Super Couple” oil endlessly on Instagram and here. Those who are new to this brand, Maya Chia uses the superfood Chia oil with high levels of omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and essential minerals, a true superfood for your skin. What stands this brand apart is the way they source chia oil in their products. Maya Chia uses a patented process to extract the oil from chia seeds called the “Supercritical Extraction ” which provides you the purest and the most efficient chia oil in the market.
In this post, I’ll be reviewing it’s Cleansing oil and the waterless wonder balm which are the real multitasker in every sense.
The Great Cleanse nourishing supercritical cleansing oil
It’s a beautiful oil cleanser which cleanses my skin efficiently and hydrates, nourishes and calms at the same time.
Ingredients: Salvia Hispanica (Supercritical Chia) Oil,Helianthus annuus (Organic Sunflower) Oil,Prunus armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, CarthamusTinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Sorbitan Oleate (Plant Derived,Chamomilla Recutita (German Chamomile) Flower Essential Oil, Anthemis Nobilis (Roman Chamomile) Flower Essential Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Essential Oil, Non-GMO Tocopherol (Vitamin E) Oil.
Consistency: Light oil
Fragrance: Soothing lavender
Packaging: It comes in a beautiful glass bottle with pump packaging. That’s the way I prefer.
My Experience: The first thing which strikes me when I use it is how light it feels on the skin. That’s because the base of this is chia oil. It almost has the consistency of a facial oil. I use a pump and a half for my face and neck. I massage it on my dry skin with my hands, sometime with my jade roller. It emulsifies easily with water and washes clean with no residue at all. (You can see in the pics above how it cleans my waterproof mascara ) My skin feels soft, hydrated and balanced. It removes waterproof makeup efficiently. It can be used any time of the day, as a first cleanse or second cleanse. I prefer using it over balms as my skin is oily/ combination and I like to use cleansing oils more so in summers. It never breaks me out rather I find it soothing because of its ingredients German and Roman chamomile along with the chia seed oil. It never irritates my skin, and I find it gentle enough for all skin types.
Now, I not only use it for makeup removal but many other purposes-
- As a body oil – I use it when I shower in the nights, and it immediately calms my nerves( probably due to lavender) and helps me to sleep better. No side effects whatsoever.
- As a base for powder mask– I love to mix my powder masks with it, and since it washes off easily, there is absolutely no residue left.
- As a prewash treatment for hair– I love treating my hair with oil before wash. I’m not able to do it everytime, but whenever I use it, my hair feels soft and less frizzy. It somehow balances my scalp, and they get less greasy, and my wash lasts longer.
Price: $34 for 100 ml ( can’t beat this price )
Will I repurchase? Yes, yes and yes. It’s my “cult” product in the category of cleansing oils.
Do I recommend? Yes, without any doubt since it’s more than just a cleansing oil.
Supercritical Chia waterless wonder balm
It’s a real multi-purpose wonder balm.
Ingredients: Butyrosperumum Parkii (Organic Shea) Butter, Salvia Hispanica (Supercritical Chia) Oil, Beeswax, Prunus Armenica (Apricot)Kernel Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Organic Sunflower) Oil, Tocopherol (Non-GMO Vitamin E), Essential Oil Fragrance Blend.
Fragrance: It smells unlike any balms I have used so far, it smells of orange blossom, not the deep spicy smell I’m used to in balms. It instantly cheers me up.
Packaging: It comes in a jar packaging. I would have loved it more, had it come with a spatula since it’s hard to scoop out.
My experience: Initially I was scared to try this balm, since the first ingredient in it is shea butter and I didn’t have a good experience with it in the past. But despite it being the base, it feels super light on skin. The “citrusy”smell, as I have mentioned, is perfect for summer/ winter. I can bathe in its fragrance if ” Susanne ” ( the brain behind the brand ) decides to make a mist out of it. Again, I use it in many ways –
- As a deep hydrating mask– I use it as a mask after using a scrub and keep on my skin for 15 – 20 min in the shower and wash it off with a warm flannel. My skin glows after using it in this way.
- As a cleansing balm– You can use it like any other cleansing balm; it removes makeup effectively, and you don’t need much for it.
- As a sole moisturizer– I have used it as a facial moisturizer in winters, specially when my skin gets dry due to constant indoor heating. I use the Maya Chia cleansing oil and wash it off, and while my face is wet, I scoop out a pea size amount and massage it on my face. It absorbs completely, and I wake up with smooth, soft and calm skin. No breakouts so far but if you are allergic to shea or if you get clogged easily then try a sample before you purchase the full size.
- As an under eye and lip treatment– I use it over my m-61 hydraboost eye serum(reviewed here), and it perfectly seals it and my under eye area looks nourished if that makes sense.😛 It hydrates my lips well, and they don’t get dry that often now.
- As an all over body treatment– I use it after shaving and waxing, and I feel I get less ingrown hairs. My skin feels super soft, and it stays hydrated for long. The only point to remember is with this balm or any other balm is to use them when your skin is wet as that helps in better absorption. If you prefer layering and use a serum before using balms then let the serum absorb completely wait for few minutes, spray your face with toner or essence, massage the tiniest amount (you can always add later if you need so) and finish it with the mist again. I feel that balm gives you the best results when used on a wet skin.
Price: $36 for 2 oz(59 ml)
Will I repurchase? Definitely yes, if I ever manage to finish this jar 😝. Since its highly concentrated, you only need little it will last for months.
Do I recommend? Yes, if you are someone who is new to balm then it’s an excellent product to start with, and if you are looking for a light balm with a zesty freshness in summer, then this is the one to go for. At this price, it’s worth it.
Overall, I would like to say that ” Maya Chia” is such an exquisite brand. I have loved every product I have used so far. They are high quality, efficient and reasonably priced for the quality you get. I sat down with Susanne to talk more about her brand, her dreams, and future prospects. Do read about her routine and know her more in my ” Meet the Makers” series here.
Disclaimer: The products were generously provided by the brand an year back but since then I have already repurchased them with my own money.