Oskia (gr. To deliver nutrition and beauty ) is Brit company founded by Georgie Cleeve who work alongside a team of internationally – recognized nutritionists, doctors, dermatologists and skincare experts, and manufacture products in her own factory in Monmouth, Wales.
The star ingredient in their products is MSM complex which contains organic sulphur that aids in collagen production and keeps skin strong and supple. The brand already has a cult following and has won many beauty awards. I came to know about this brand , when I got interested in their most well known product -Renaissance cleansing gel which you can see in the routine of probably every skincare enthusiast/ blogger on Instagram. But when I landed on their website and read more about them I decided to get their powerhouse-” Oskia Super 16 serum”. That was the first product I tried from them and I knew that this love affair is going to last forever. In march they launched their new Brighlight serum and Renaissance brightening cream and I literally jumped on to it. So have these serums performed as promised? Let’s see-
OSKIA SUPER 16 SERUM
My skin : Combination / Oily , easily congested with occasional hormonal breakouts in the chin and hyperpigmentation marks and sunspots.
Aqua; Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil; Glycerin; Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride; Bakuchiol; Butylene Glycol; Dimethyl Sulfone; Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract; Lupinus Albus Seed Extract; Chondrus Crispus Extract; Crithmum Maritimum Callus Culture Filtrate; Crithmum Maritimum Extract; Malus Domestica Fruit Cell Culture Extract; Sodium Hyaluronate; Opuntia Ficus-Indica Stem Dry Matter; Retinyl Palmitate; Rosa Damascena Flower Oil; Disodium Edta; Glucose; Glyceryl Linoleate; Glyceryl Linolenate; Inulin Lauryl Carbamate; Lecithin; Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate; Sodium Lactate; Sodium Pca; Sorbitol; Tocopherol; Tocopheryl Acetate; Xanthan Gum; Caprylyl Glycol; Ethylhexylglycerin; Phenethyl Alcohol; Phenoxyethanol; Citronellol**; Geraniol**; Linalool**
** Component of natural essential oils.
Key Actives 😦 as described on the site)
- Bakuchiol, a clinically compared natural alternative to retinol but without the sensitivity, leaves skin firmer, lines reduced, elasticity improved (by boosting and regulating Type 1, III & IV collagen).
- Opuntia Ficus-Indica Extract (a beautiful organic cactus) rich in highly anti-oxidant Piscidic Acid and Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3 & C, blocks the release of stress markers from nerve cells to calm irritated skin while providing soothing & firming benefits.
- Vitamin A Palmitate improves the appearance of mature & sun damaged skin without irritation.
- Hyaluronic Acid hydrates and plumps to reduce the appearance of fine lines
- Vitamins C & E deliver high level anti-oxidant benefits.
- Crithmum Seaweed Extract helps detoxify & restore tired skin.
- Punarnava Extract delivers immediate & long term soothing effects to help reduce redness & discomfort.
- OSKIA’s unique Moisturising Complex (OMC), together with Chondrus Crispus Seaweed Extract & Chicory Root hydrate, soften & refresh.
- Dimethyl Sulfone (MSM) boosts collagen & soothe
Color: Milky White
Texture : Thin , slightly thicker than milk
Fragrance : natural pleasant rose which dissipates in few minutes , definitely not cloying , no artificial fragrance.
My experience : I got this serum at the end of December last year and have been using it since then . It absorbs beautifully into the skin and leaves you with a pleasant rose aroma. I’m not a big fan of rose but its fragrance is very subtle. I used it regularly in winters and it definitely helped my skin to survive the cold when it tends to get dehydrated and dry. Now I also love my oils and balms and they help me to cope up with any dryness caused by the cold air / indoor heating but I have seen that my skin remains dehydrated at the surface. Most of the oil act as a emollient and help with dryness but to relieve the skin of dehydration you need a hydrating water based serum under them. It also helps to absorb the oil better. It has sodium hylauronate which is a sodium salt of hylauronic acid and delivers hydration to the deeper layers of skin as it penetrates easily. This serum makes my skin plump, hydrated and smooth . It mixes easily with any oil which I fancy to use. So it hasn’t disrupted my routine. It has helped in my hormonal breakouts which have become less since I have started using it and it has also faded my old acne scars. I believe that it helps in healing them. I attribute that to the MSM ( sulfur- powerful ingredient to reduce inflammation) and Bakuchiol( alternative to retinol) which are high up in the ingredients list. Now I use so many serums but I revert back to it and use it religiously around the time of the month I expect my skin to erupt. I believe that the combination of this serum along with my favorite oil (here) has kept my skin largely acne free. It also has vitamin C in the form of sodium ascorbyl phosphate which is a stablized form of vit C which helps to even out the skin tone. It’s a good complete antioxidant serum which is suitable to all skin types even the most sensitive types.
Price: 80 pounds for 30 ml / ~114 USD
Do I recommend? Yes for every skin type
OSKIA BRIGHTLIGHT SERUM
An intensive daily correcting serum which claims to combat hyper-pigmentation, fade dark spots and repair sun damage, formulated with a unique encapsulated blend of bio-available actives & nutrients that act deep down to even out skin tone and ensure a visibly brighter, illuminated complexion.
Their claims are backed by powerful data and the science behind it-
14% reduction in melanin content in the skin after only 28 days (using no SPF to prevent triggers)*
90% reported their skin was more balanced and even
90% noticed their skin appeared brighter and more luminous
90% felt skin tone appeared lighter
87% reported pigmentation had faded
97% reported skin felt firmer
97% felt their skin condition improved
97% felt happier with their complexion
100% reported it was gentle to use and caused no irritation
*Results from an independent clinical study conducted on 30 women age 35 to 62 years over 8 weeks, using no SPF and applying Brightlight twice a day, morning and night.
The science – (as described on their site)
- NANOBRIGHT, OSKIA’s own encapsulated liposome includes Glutathione – the body’s key antioxidant and tripeptide that unfortunately decreases as we age; natural Arbutin (from Bearberry leaf) both of which inhibit the enzyme Tyrosinase (which stimulates melanin production within the melanocytes); and antioxidants Vitamins C & E. 0.4% of Nanobright inhibits melanin formation by 74%. OSKIA uses 5%.
- ENCAPSULATED SWISS GARDEN CRESS LIPOSOMES, rich in Sulforaphane, inhibit the hormone a-MSH to reduce melanin production by 44% using 0.4%. OSKIA uses 2%.
- MSM boosts the power of Glutathione and increases the production of pheomelanin, the type of melanin that is found in fair-skinned people, relative to eumelanin, the darker type of melanin.
- SODIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, a stable and potent form of Vitamin C, reduces melanogenisis in the melanocytes by 57% and reduces age spots by 25% using 0.14%. OSKIA uses 6%.
- NIACINAMIDE (Vitamin B3) inhibits the transfer of the melanosomes to the surrounding keratinocytes by up to 68% and inhibits inflammatory mediators, reducing post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation, and increasing over-all skin lightening by 26% in 8 weeks at 5%. OSKIA uses 5%.
- ZINC GLYCINATE stimulates the formation of an antioxidant protein to bind Copper and inhibit the production of melanin and reduces Tyrosinase.
- PASSIONFRUIT & GRAPE AHAS with PUMPKIN & PAPAYA ENZYMES gently exfoliate away current surface melanin as well as dead skin cells to boost regeneration & smoothness.
- FERMENTED MINERAL POLYPEPTIDE MIX, OSKIA’S own fermented mineral complex delivers Magnesium, Iron, Zinc and Silicon in bio-available form for a full skin cell health boost.
- PREBIOTICS help to protect the skin’s natural flora for optimum skin health by preventing the colonization of harmful bacteria.
I find no false claims when you consider the effectiveness of the ingredients on their list. There has been many studies which have proved that niacinamide alone can help in reducing the sunspots. Along with they have a powerful cocktail of natural AHA and arbutin and sodium ascorbyl phosphate all of which targets hyperpigmentation alongside zinc , prebiotics and MSM to maintain a healthy skin. Well done Oskia!
Consistency – gel serum
Fragrance – rose similiar to the super 16 serum , dissipates soon.
My experience – With such tall claims it’s obvious my expectations from this was huge. I have tried everything from 10$ serum to 230$ serum (here) for my sunspots. Some have worked but most of them despite the good ingredients list didn’t work for me. When I started this I was little underwhelmed because of its consistency which feels tacky and takes some time to absorb and in my morning rush, this is the last thing I want. But soon I started mixing it with my moisturizer and recently to oils to avoid the tackiness.(as in pic below) This way it absorbs beautifully without any residue.
You can use it both morning and night. I use it mainly in the morning as in the night I use my exfoliating serum. Like most brightening serums there was no overnight lightening or brightening , it takes around 3 weeks for a skin cell to regenerate and that’s when you see the effect. I have been using this for over two months now and I can safely say that this product works and I mean really works on the hyperpigmentation. It has brightened my complexion and reduced the dark spots. By now I think everyone has acids in their routine but I strongly suggest not to use them together. This is a very active serum and using acids and this in the same routine will irritate your skin. If you plan to use them together it’s best to use a soothing oil which is high in anti inflammatory instead of a cream moisturizer to prevent dryness. It’s not as effective in reducing acne as super 16 serum is but it doesn’t claim to do that. It doesn’t irritate them either but I prefer the super 16 serum when I’m breaking out. Overall , it’s a wonderful and effective brightening serum.
Suitable for : all skin types
Price : 85 pounds for 30 ml ~122 USD
Which one I ‘ll repurchase ? For me I’ll repurchase both because both have been very effective for my skin in different ways but I know these are not very affordable serums and the obvious question is which one do I need ? I’ll say if acne is your primary concern and you want to have a healthy skin then go for the super 16 serum because it not only reduces breakout it also helps to even out complexion. The brightlight serum is more suitable for someone who has hyperpigmentation / dullness/ sunspots/melasma issues. I see it as an intensive treatment and when your issues are solved you can start using oskia super 16 to maintain it. I wish I could tell you one over the other but this is the best explanation I can provide.
I’m also using a Renaissance 360 anti ageing and brightening cream along with these serums but I’ll review that in a separate post on day moisturizers. But to give you a gist – you will fall in love the day you’ll start using that moisturizers. Now for the purpose of testing and blogging I use other products but Oskia is one brand which has nailed the market filled with brands claiming to be natural and organic and nontoxic ( how I hate this word !) with the science to back its claims. I can’t wait to try other products from this brand.